Monday, October 16, 2006

rain, rain go away...

Welcome to Houston where the skies open up and pour down and the streets flood and we still have school. There's this thing about Houston when it rains: it sucks. Not only are the roads just generally awful anyways, but they become especially horrible when you account for the mad amounts of sewer blockages and low-lying flooded areas. It started raining yesterday morning and rained on and off all the way through this morning. We watched the news when we got up in the morning and even though there were some major road problems and the buses weren't running, we still had school. A couple of the bayous were flooding and the highway by my house was flooded three exits down. Once I got on the highway (via somewhat nerve racking jaunt through water on the entrance ramp) it was smooth sailing. Thanks to the flooding on 288 there was basically no one on the highway.

Also thanks to the flooding we had 8 teachers out so I got to cover a music class today. Know what you do when you're an English teacher and you get to cover a music class? Absolutely nothing. In case you were wondering. Half my kids were out because the fifth ward was flooded. All in all, it wasn't a very bad day. I think everyone was kind of out of it due to the rain and it being a Monday. My fourth hour of course lost their minds. I don't know what to do with them. They don't listen, they don't understand when they are in trouble, they don't understand why they are in the wrong. I'm so frustrated with myself for letting it get like this and not knowing how to fix it. There has got to be a better way. I shouldn't hate a full 85 minute class period, but I do.

Oh boy, here's hoping the rain stops and the children start listening.

No comments:

 
Made by Lena