Thursday, June 15, 2006

Wait, I thought I was going to be the teacher?

Institute is going well, we sit in session a lot and I fight the sleep that always seems to be wrestling with my eyelids. Luckily my CS Jake has a pot of coffee running every morning and throughout the day so I’ve got plenty of caffeine. The amount of calories we’re taking in each day is insane. I’ve never been so tired and it seems like everyone else is too because we inhale our meals. It makes sense though; we’re working all day at school and then making plans at the dorms with sessions each night on top of that. I fight very hard to be in bed by 11 p.m., but that’s only because I know I won’t function well without sleep. I wonder how I’m going to make it through these next four weeks.

We (my collaborative partner Kiel and I) observed our class yesterday. They’re taught by a teacher named Mr. Garcia right now. When we showed up he wasn’t there, but the kids were. They were sitting pretty quietly, just waiting for Mr. Garcia. I think that part of the reason he was able to leave them alone with very little consequence is because Mr. Garcia is a rather large man. To say he has a presence about him is an understatement. Damn, if only I could go back in time and be born a bulky, Hispanic man. I’m really getting afraid that these kids are going to eat me alive.

This whole week we’ve sat in session after session after session. I really like Jake a lot, he’s very funny and his poster making skills are humorous, but I came to teach. As much as I’m scared that a fourteen year old is going to make me cry, I want to get to it. It’s like pulling off a band-aid, the anticipation is killing me. And I’m getting sick, which makes it all worse.

This weekend I get to sleep. No sweeter words have ever been spoken.

No comments:

 
Made by Lena